Thursday, January 10, 2008

Raw Chocolate Balls

This recipe is thanks to my sister-in-law, Cami, the raw vegan who lives in Australia with her pretty awesome family. We went down to visit her last October and I was introduced to the concept of eating raw food, a very healthy way to go. Because you're eating fresh, you get most of the enzymes that are removed from heating. Because of her, Jeremy and I have started drinking green smoothies on a daily basis. Tonight, however, I will share a simple raw dessert. Four ingredients, that's it. So simple but so good for you. Did you know that cacao powder has the highest percentage of anti-oxidants? (95,500 in 100 grams in raw cacao, 26,000 in roasted cacao and the next on the list is goji berries--25,300 in 100 grams). Can we say superfood? I didn't have raw cacao powder (processed at no higher heat than 45 degrees Celsius) on hand this time, so I used your ordinary cacao powder which has just a bit more antioxidants than goji berries. I made these for Christmas and they went quickly. Tonight, they're for my chocolate craving.

3 C shredded coconut
1 - 1 1/2 C ground almonds
1 C raw cacao powder
1 C maple syrup or agave syrup


Mix and form into balls.

And that's seriously it, folks. Enjoy this dessert, it's great for you!

Food for thought, raw meals may be the way to go for someone who's nicknamed "Sunogum Luto-um" because she's known for burning food...hmmm....

No comments: