Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cornbread

Very good with a side of vegetarian chili or tomato soup and best served warm straight out of the oven. Jeremy loves eating this with honey. I think I got this recipe from his mom.

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten (I usually omit this)
1/2 cup milk (I use soymilk)
2 T shortening, melted (I use coconut oil or grapeseed oil)


Mix dry and wet ingredients in separate bowl, then stir liquid into dry (Sssh, don't tell anybody but I just mix them all together in the same bowl. I'm lazy, what can I say). I don't use the egg, it doesn't really need it, I think and I'm not crazy about eggy tasting cornbread. Pour in greased 4x4. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes. Serve warm. This is another romantic recipe, only serves 2. Maybe 3.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE cornbread! will have to make it for his lunchbox! :)
thanks bai for updating - hehe