Sunday, February 3, 2008

Bukky's Nigerian Tomato Sauce

My friend from forever, Bukky, shared her recipe for the tomato sauce that she makes all the time. It was very simple and very yummy so I'm sharing it here with you.









Cut in chunks and put in blender:

1 lb tomatoes (she said she fills up her blender)
1 medium onion
2+ cloves of garlic (to your taste, there's no such thing as too much garlic here)

Blend. Then heat a pot on the stove until it gets very hot. Add

1 T of oil or so

When it gets really hot, throw in

Some sliced onions just to flavor the oil, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of one.

When onions are translucent, pour the tomato mixture into the pot. Add:

1/2 small can of tomato paste
Meat (lb of ground beef or chicken pieces if you're not vegetarian, I threw in a can of mashed vegetarian Swiss Steak and it was great)
Chicken broth (powdered or cube like Knorr, to taste)
Curry powder (also to taste)
Thyme (to taste)
Hot pepper, chopped (optional, she uses 1-2 habaneros, I'm too chicken so I just put a bit of powdered cayenne pepper)
1-2 bay leaves
Salt to taste


Stir well, wait until bubbling, then cover pot slightly, lower heat and cook forever. Well, she said at least for 40 minutes until there's sauce splattered all over your stovetop, and then you know it's done. I waited, let it simmer and bubble for 40 minutes and sure enough, my stovetop was splattered all over with tomato sauce and I felt like I had achieved the proper Nigerian tomato sauce. And it was good. Especially served over cous-cous.

No comments: