Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tanya's Banana Bread Recipe

Tanya brought us slices of this banana bread one Friday night before our Bible study and I was hooked. I had to get the recipe. So she gave it to me on the spot. To make it vegan, you can substitute 3 T of apple sauce or 1 oz mashed tofu for each egg but this is probably one recipe that I don't bother and use the eggs anyway. The riper the bananas, the better. And the topping makes it yummier. Here's Tanya's recipe almost word-for-word.

1/2 cup softened butter (I use coconut oil or grapeseed oil instead)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
4 ripe bananas
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour with good results)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup nuts
brown sugar and nuts for sprinkling


Cream butter/oil with brown sugar. Whisk in two eggs (one at a time mixing well for each). Add vanilla and ripe bananas to the mix (I use a blender) for adding bananas.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Then add banana mix and stir enough to combine ingrendients. Fold nuts in mix.

Pour mix into lightly sprayed 9x5" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I sprinkle brown sugar and nuts on top before I bake.

No comments: